Wednesday, December 10, 2008

UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE FAN STORE

EXCITING TIME FOR AN "OLD" NEW LEAGUE JUNKIE!

Thank you for coming to my blog. I will be providing reports on the who/what/when/and why of the fledgling United Football League in the coming months as we inch our way towards the opening ceremonies in September of 2009.
I have been a long time fan of start up professional sports leagues since I was a young boy of about 12, when the then World Hockey Association made it's debut.
I continued to follow the progress- if you can call it that- of the World Football League, and it's short lived time on our sports map.
I saw Dr J at the apex of his career while dunking with the Virginia Squires and New York Nets of the old ABA. Still THE most exciting basketball player I ever saw!
The USFL with Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker came next, showing off their extreme talents, before the league faded into memory with a whopping legal settlement of $1 against the monopoly NFL! (NO FUN LEAGUE)!
Finally, I was in the stands when Orlando made it's XFL debut, my then girlfriend and current wife next to me. (I figured if she would go to this, she was good in my book). Rememeber "He hate me"! Hey it was ALL good in my book!
I should have known that the league was cursed, when on the opening kickoff/scrum, a player dislocated his shoulder.
The UFL has many naysayers, as they all did. They may all turn out to be right, though I feel the originators of the UFL have taken the truism "If you don't learn from history, you are destined to repeat it" to heart!
There is something, though, about a fresh start, a new vision, that has always inspired me to root for, and even support... via ticket sales, merchandise, TV viewing upstart ventures going against the almighty- in this case the NFL - establishment.
Maybe it is just at my core, "I LOVE the underdog".
One thing I craved as kid when a new league started was getting my hands on merchandise........ official or not! Anything that showed I was in on something new, exciting, and unique!
I still have a collection of WFL media guides...... remember the vaunted New York Stars!
Therefore, I have provided you with a link to the first UFL merchandise you can purchase, to show your pride, to thumb your nose at the doomsdayers, to give grassroot support to this venture, which many think "won't work".
Today we say to them " We are alive and believe".
I am wearing my UFL gear knowing they will deliver on the slogan "Stars of tommorrow"
Because, this is at heart what America stands for! Underdogs succeeding!
Go UFL!
I hope to provide some insight into this league as the days progress, no matter how demented and distorted they may be.
After all, I am an "Old" new league junkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment